Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A letter to Malibu Times by Sangita

My friend begged me to put this one my blog, it's a letter she is going to write to Malibu times about sex slavery.  Here is just a bit of it but you can read more at my page "Related social justice issues."


Dear Malibu Times Editor…
I am doing a project on Sex Slavery. I have been inspired from my mom. The amount of energy and effort it that takes to help people who are abused is very big but in the end it’s all worth it.
Who are you, what do you want and why am I your victim? Those are questions we all would ask our enemies if we were in the shoes of a captive women or child.
My mom is a producer/director and she documents people who get trafficked or have been hurt in some way. Her friend (not named) was someone who was enslaved and tortured when she was young, ever since then my mom’s friend has been aware of what she does and where she is. She has recovered in part because of the help of my mom but especially because she is very strong inside. She has a daughter who is my friend. The first time I met her she was such a happy girl. We had a lot of fun hanging out. One day, when she went outside to her pool she was molested by her pool cleaner. She was stunned. Ever since then she has not been in a happy mood. I am not saying that all pool cleaners are bad, you just have to be careful.
Did you ever think of how lucky you were to have such a great life? People who have been captured have to live under the pain they felt when they were hurt; they have to worry about if the man that hurt them will ever come back to “haunt” them. We, who have never been hurt that way, don’t have to worry about anyone coming back to us but we always agonize about little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment